As the largest children’s hospital between Atlanta and Washington, DC, Atrium Health Levine Children’s in Charlotte, NC provides expert care in more than 30 areas of pediatric medicine.
U.S. News & World Report ranks this hospital among the nation’s best hospitals for pediatric cancer care. They treat more pediatric patients per day than any other hospital in North Carolina and have the region’s first 24/7 emergency room for children.
Cancer affects many parts of a child’s life, from what they eat to their mental health. Atrium Health Levine Children’s offers a unique integrative medicine program that uses natural and complementary therapies to supplement traditional treatment and help children stay as healthy as possible.
Integrative medicine services
- Aromatherapy. Our team can help patients use their sense of smell to improve sleep and decrease nausea.
- Art therapy. These therapists help children draw and paint pictures to express their emotions and cope with stress.
- Integrative medicine consults. Levine Children’s offers consultations with a pediatric hematologist/oncologist who is trained in integrative medicine. During these visits, we’ll hear about your family’s needs and build an integrative care plan to meet them.
- Nutrition counseling. Our dietitians help kids and their families stick to a healthy diet during their illness. Dietitians are also a great resource for kids whose illness or treatments make it more difficult to eat regular foods and meals.
- Music therapy. These therapists use songs and instruments to help children express themselves and relieve stress.
- Pet therapy. Kids can relieve stress by playing with dogs, helping them relax and offering a pick-me-up.
- Reiki. Also called “energy healing,” Reiki is a Japanese practice where therapists touch a patient in ways that channel energy and promote healing. Reiki can be especially beneficial for kids with cancer because it helps decrease nausea, pain and stress.
- Transition to adult care. When patients reach age 26, we’ll help them smoothly move into our adult program at Levine Cancer Institute. This helps patients continue treatment and get the right preventive care and screenings.
To make an appointment at Atrium Health Levine Children’s, call 704-381-9900.
Sarcoma Care at Levine Children’s Integrative Medicine